March 27, 2008

Chocolate Chip "Is there Orange in these?" Cookies

Yes. There is. I think I might be able to taste it, while Michelle thinks they're good, but definitely do not have any orange flavor.  I hold to my dream.  Stand my ever faltering ground, that, yes, I may have just noticed an orange-ish flavor in that bite.  I declare I do!  
To settle the issue, I asked the Yes/No Oracle, "Do these cookies taste orange-y?" and got this as a response. 

"All right!" ..........but with two thumbs down........... ummm..........Well..... the cookies have Tofutti Cream Cheese in them!  Cream Cheese!  I don't really even like cream cheese, but it did give these cookies an extra kick of richness.  Consensus: probably needs some zest to actually taste orange-y, but I'd definitely make 'em again.   

EDIT:  I made these again, substituting the vanilla for orange extract and, instead of 1/4 cup orange juice, I did 1 T orange juice, 3 T plain soymilk.  Now there's definitely orange in these and they've got a much better texture.  100% awesome.   Best cookies I've had in awhile.
_______
1/4 cup Earth Balance
2 Tbs Tofutti Cream Cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips
_________
Preheat the oven to 350
In a large bowl cream together the Earth Balance, Tofutti Cream Cheese and sugar.  Add in the orange juice and vanilla extract. 
In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and combine. Mix in the chocolate chips. 
Plop 'em on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.  Whatever shape you put 'em in is probably the shape they'll come out in, so sculpt away. 

1 comment:

R said...

I love your blog! I'm definitely going to try these cookies :)