March 4, 2008

Kale Penne Pasta

Michelle loves this recipe.  Everything about it.  It's easy, got some healthy greens in it, the sweetness of the onion, blah, blah, blah.  Our relationship with this meal started after a fellow young parent couple invited us over for dinner.  We accepted, but let them know we ate a vegan diet, and after a short discussion on what that meant, they decided on this awesome recipe.  They added bacon and toasted walnuts to theirs.  We added pine nuts, tons-o-garlic, and nearly-caramelized onions.  Here's our take on their meal.
________
___________
Kale Penne Pasta
_______
1 pound penne pasta
2 T olive oil
1/2 onion diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups kale ripped into pieces
pine nuts (optional, but awesome)
_____________
Make the pasta according to package directions. 
Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat (we use the pot that we cooked the pasta in, and leave the pasta in the strainer).  Add the onion and cook until caramelized, stirring occasionally.  Add the garlic and cook until it releases its fragrance, about a minute.  Stir in the kale, cover, and bring heat down to low.  Keep stirring occasionally until all the kale is wilted. Sprinkle with pine nuts.  Add the cooked pasta and toss until evenly mixed.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll admit I have yet to make a recipe on here, as school prevents me doing pretty much anything but school [until May, freedom!]. But, I'll also admit that every time I see a photo of your food I hear my stomach grumble a little. :]

Feanna said...

My husband made this recipe and it was great. Thanks for the recipe,

Greatful.

Anonymous said...

Awesome recipe. I bought some kale at
Wholefoods without knowing what I was going to do with it. Then found some whole wheat penne in the cupboard and googled away. Great combo. I used brazil nuts and cashews, and a little red pepper in place of pine nuts. My girlfriend loved it, I win. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Just made this tonight...minus the pine nuts. Delicious! My four year old had thirds. Thanks!